Competitive salary and benefits package on offer, within an employee-owned organisation.
Closing date: 5th August 2020
The ABER Instruments R&D team is looking to grow with the addition of an enthusiastic and innovative new member. Based in Aberystwyth, we’re an employee owned company with 30 years experience making cell monitoring instrumentation for the brewing and biotech markets – find out more about our employee owned ethos, history and product range by visiting our website – www.aberinstruments.com. The company is an established, global market leader constantly working to innovate and expand our product portfolio, with bases in the UK and the US.
We’re embarking on a SMARTCymru funded project to advance our existing capacitance technology and we’re looking for someone who is inquisitive and enjoys using physics, maths, and electronics theory to solve real world problems. You will work as part of our R&D team alongside our electronics, mechanical, and software engineers to develop scientific theory into practical solutions. As we count many of the world’s leading biotech and brewing companies as customers, attention to detail and quality is vital.
You will be responsible for carrying out design and experimental tasks with the aim of designing, developing, and proving circuit and system designs. Your work on a day to day basis will involve:
- The design and implementation of electrical systems suitable for RF impedance spectroscopy
- Prototyping, testing, evaluating, and troubleshooting designs
- Documenting your work and writing up test/progress reports
- Working with members of the project team to adapt measurement systems for use with cell culture in a laboratory environment
- Assembly and testing of our instrumentation and ancillary equipment; to include calibrations, pre-testing, temperature cycling, final testing, electrical safety, EMC and PAT testing.
- Assembly of small PCBs with surface mount soldering work.
- Precision machining; to include the use of lathes, mills, laser engravers and welders, and other workshop equipment as required.
- Producing build documentation for batch recording of parts and components, and the selection of individual parts to maintain quality.
- Programming various devices including PLCs, EPROMs, and flash cards from firmware masters
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Given the demanding time constraints of the project we are looking for someone with experience of designing and prototyping analogue circuits and systems who can hit the ground running. To achieve this you will need to have:
- BSc/BEng in Electronics, Physics or a related discipline, with further education or experience in a relevant field.
- Knowledge of electronic circuit and system design, including analogue circuitry.
- Experience in experimental design and practical evaluation of hypotheses.
- Experience of prototype development and testing.
- Strong analytical ability and problem-solving skills.
- Experience of systems design and evaluation, ideally of biological measuring systems.
- Background in Physics, Biochemistry or a related discipline, with further education or experience in a relevant field.
- Experience of wideband RF impedance spectroscopy.
- Ability to work well as part of a multidisciplinary team.
As an employee owned company we offer a unique benefits package which includes:
- Profit share.
- 1000 shares in the company upon completion of your probation period.
- The opportunity to buy ABER shares.
- Death in Service (4x Salary).
- Income protection (75% of salary).
- Flexible working.
- Up to 26 days holiday, plus bank holidays, and shutdown over Christmas period.
- Opportunity to influence how the company grows and operates through an employee council.
- Aberystwyth University sports centre membership.