Senior Software Engineer
Competitive salary and benefits package on offer, within an employee-owned organisation.
Closing date: 2nd of January 2023
The ABER Instruments Software team within R&D is looking to grow with the addition of an enthusiastic, adaptable and self-motivated new member. Based in Aberystwyth, we’re an employee owned company with 30 years’ experience making monitoring instrumentation for the brewing and biotech markets – view our website to find out more about our employee owned ethos, history and products.
In joining us, you will receive a generous benefits package including a twice yearly profit share, a holiday entitlement of 20 days, increasing to 26 days with service, plus Christmas closure leave. Flexible working and a generous pension. Following probation, colleagues are gifted 1000 shares, have income protection, life insurance and can join the cycle to work scheme.
The company is an established, global market leader constantly working to innovate and expand our product portfolio, with bases in the U.K and the U.S. We count many of the world’s leading biotech and brewing companies as customers; attention to detail and quality is essential.
As the company is growing, our product portfolio is expanding and our aim is to build a diverse team capable of sharing the workload to deliver improvements and new developments in a timely manner. You will be required to work across several different projects so adaptability and an appetite to learn and develop are important.
To design, develop, test and maintain both in-house and customer software to meet requirements, taking into consideration quality, performance, and usability amongst other criteria.
Reporting to the Software Development Manager within the R&D department, this role will involve collaborating with many departments across the organisation such as Process Engineering and Product Support. For this role onsite working is preferred, but hybrid working will be considered for the right candidate.
Duties to Include
- Collaborate with internal teams to design and estimate new features and software systems to meet both customer and company requirements
- Develop & maintain in-house and customer facing software to control and configure Instruments and their manufacture
- Develop & maintain software for Windows & PLC based instrumentation
- Produce software design specifications to meet requirements
- Provide software support to customers and internal users
- Work in conjunction with other team members and report on progress
- Write software test specifications & perform testing
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required
- Proven experience developing in C#/.net with a minimum of 5 years’ experience
- Familiarity with design patterns such as MVVM
- Excellent relational database design and coding skills with SQL experience.
- Proven ability to produce technical specifications and document code
- Proven ability to elicit requirements and design solutions
- Experience of working with Visual Studio
- Excellent IT systems skills
- Experience providing guidance to junior developers / mentorship
Desirable knowledge, skills and experience:
- Experience working with hardware communication protocols such as Modbus
- Experience of WPF, Entity Framework, and Moq
- Familiarity with agile software development methodologies
- Familiarity with SQL Server
- Knowledge of other programming languages (such as Python, PHP, etc)
- Experience of using a code repository and version control, e.g. Git
- Experience in firmware development in C/C++
- Programming in Ladder Logic and/or LabVIEW using the appropriate IDEs
- BSc. in Computer Science (or equivalent)
To apply, please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com