Software Design and Development Manager
Competitive salary and benefits package on offer, within an employee-owned organisation.
Closing date: 11th October 2021
Due to ABER’s continued growth, we are looking to recruit an enthusiastic and organised person to lead our small but ambitious software development team. You will be responsible for the design, coordination and successful implementation of both internal and customer facing software packages. The packages are used in our manufacturing processes and to control the instruments we sell.
It will be your job to work with the clients, internal and external, to develop specifications and designs for new and existing software. You will develop a strategy for the timely implementation of these designs and communicate progress and problems to the client and the wider team.
Duties to include
Support and formalise customer and business requirements into achievable project goals.
Plan the project timelines and confirm the product roadmap.
Plan the resourcing requirements for medium and long term goals.
Facilitate product and architecture development and graphical design.
Provide regular feedback and status of project progress and related issues impacting specification, quality, or schedule.
Ensure all team deliverables are completed; to meet the requirements and agreed timelines.
Interact with the wider R&D engineering team to ensure product quality and successful project delivery.
Ensure the Software team remains focused throughout the development cycle to mitigate risks to quality and/or project schedule.
Line Management responsibilities for the software team.
Manage and mentor Software engineers of different levels to help meet their career goals and personal development objectives, including completing performance reviews.
Make priority calls to maintain a realistic balance between feature development priorities and urgent customer needs.
Coordinate with the HR Team to attract additional resources when required.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required
- Degree in Computer Science or related discipline or equivalent qualification.
- Commensurate industry experience.
- Experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design.
- Experience leading teams to build, test, and deploy high quality, highly reliable, scalable applications, APIs, and user-interfaces in a team environment.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in managing a team of Software Developers to ensure products are released to timelines and with high quality standards.
- Demonstrated technical leadership / mentoring skills.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Excellent work ethic, initiative, self-motivated and demonstrated ability to deliver high value products in a team environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Desired
- Experience of working in a regulated industry.
- Knowledge and experience of working on product development using agile methodology.